THE LIVING FLAME
By Tessa Harvey
When he woke up, he was seeing double. Two identical pairs of sparkling blue eyes were watching him. Blinking, Peter looked again, noticing this time that the one on his left had longer dark hair and the person on his right had a stubble on his chin.
Disconcertingly, they spoke almost together. "Hi Peter. I'm you doctor," said the lady, "and I'm your senior doctor," said the man, "only by two minutes!" retorted the other, and they both laughed.
"Sorry," one of them apologised, "you probably don't want to be here in hospital. Well, neither do we really, so let's be friends and hopefully tomorrow you can go home."
The male doctor was then called away. They were both Dr's. Niederburger, one Matthew, one Elizabeth - twins in the same profession.
"You had us worried," Dr. Elizabeth spoke quietly, sitting on a bedside chair. "We prayed a lot for you last night. For a while you had a ventilator, but now just the oxygen mask.
She reached for the boy's hand. "How do you feel, Peter? "You are, I hear, a very brave boy." He turned away, upset.

Comments
Post a Comment