THE LIVING FLAME 

By Tessa Harvey


    
    Daria was Ernst's sister. She was almost ten, while Ernst was just turning thirteen. She was dark-haired and small. Her best friend was Staria and they would often giggle together about how alike their names were. Her parents were Karl and Inge Bordman and had been to help bury Uncle Will. Their mothers had been best friends.
    Daria was furious at Ernst for what he had done, then she heard him crying in his room night after night and realised he was sorry. 
    One night she knocked on his wall quietly. Her brother was silent, then opened his bedroom door. "I suppose you hate me too," he whispered, wiping his tears with his open hands. "You see, I liked Mr. Stein. He said I could be Youth Leader which is very important." He cried again, softly. "He said Uncle would just get a stern talking to. He lied. I am so sorry." 
    Daria patted his back, then sat with him for a while. The moon shone peacefully outside the window.
    "Who do you talk to in your room sometimes?" he ventured to ask at last. 
"Mr. Bordman bought Staria a little pink sugar mouse. I smiled then he opened his fingers and a little white one was peeping at me. I talk to it. Alfie. He is too nice to eat!!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog