THE LIVING FLAME
By Tessa Harvey
Ernst crept into the room. The sun was pouring in, illuminating his dad engrossed in a book. Ernst strained, but could not see the title. Sensing his presence, the man looked up. "Hello son. Need any help with homework, or perhaps go for a walk with you to the river, maybe?" Daniel tried to sound hopeful and pleasant, but the boy scowled!
"Where is Uncle Will? I was told he was no longer in prison. So where is he?" He sounded petulant and demanding.
His father looked up. "Didn't they tell you? - He is dead!"
"No he's not!" Ernst went pale. His father put the book down carefully. He suddenly looked tired and old. "You denounced him, yes? They beat him. He's dead."
"But......I didn't want him dead! I just wanted him punished. We must obey the rules!" He ran outside, shaking.
Silently crying, his father, the dead man's brother picked up the only book ever written with words of Life - the Bible. I will hide no more, he thought, and placed it on the dusty coffee table.

Comments
Post a Comment